MU Web developers are expected to make sites that are easy to read, intuitively navigable, accessible, aesthetically pleasing, compliant with university policies and reflective of the university’s values. Learn and adopt our best practices by reviewing our content guidelines.
Like brick-and-mortar buildings, websites have addresses. Called IP addresses, they consist of long strings of numbers. To make IP addresses easier to remember, the Domain Name System was devised, generating user-friendly mechanisms to get people where they want to go on the Web more easily. Instead of learning “22.214.171.124,” for example, a user needs only to remember “missouri.edu.”
The University of Missouri’s domain name, missouri.edu, also serves as the university’s homepage. Other MU sites incorporate specific unit names, such as admissions.missouri.edu (a subdomain) for Undergraduate Admissions.
Domain names should be intuitive and reflective of an academic or administrative unit’s affiliation with MU. It is strongly recommended that all units adopt a domain name that is brief and marketable.
- DO NOT use: http://www.missouri.edu/~jour/
- USE: http://journalism.missouri.edu/
MU divisions, departments, units or organizations desiring domain names other than missouri.edu must gain approval from the MU Marketing Committee. Contact University Affairs at 573-882-4523.
- DoIT can help an MU unit obtain a new domain name within missouri.edu. Contact DoIT at 573-882-5000.
- Include the stacked MU logo. Always link it back to the MU homepage at missouri.edu.
- Use your MU signature or unit signature, including the MU logo, the name of the unit or organization and the words “University of Missouri.”
- Include academic or administrative unit and department or division identity and links to relevant websites.
The footer at the bottom of each page of every University of Missouri website must contain contact information, copyright and nondiscrimination information, with links to further details.
© [YEAR] — Curators of the University of Missouri. All rights reserved. DMCA and other copyright information. An equal opportunity/access/affirmative action/pro-disabled and veteran employer.
If your webpages have a “.php” file extension (identity.missouri.edu/websites/footer.php) you can use the following code to automate the year:<?php echo date('Y'); ?>
This allows the date to update automatically every year.
The footer links are:
- University of Missouri
University of Missouri system, http://www.umsystem.edu/
Digital Millennium Copyright Act information, http://missouri.edu/dmca/
- other copyright information
Mizzou copyright information, http://missouri.edu/copyright/
- equal opportunity/access/affirmative action/pro-disabled and veteran employer
Statement of Nondiscrimination, http://missouri.edu/eeo-aa/
Before the legal content, the footer should contain contact information detailing:
- The unit responsible for ownership of the site. If applicable, that text should link to a different website representing the unit.
- A physical address
- An email address
- A phone number
Follow The Associated Press Stylebook and exceptions as published in the Editorial style guide [ LINK ]
- Optimize images for web
- Review contact and deadline information every semester
- Check site links monthly
- Remove outdated pages from server