Use abbreviations Ave., Blvd. and St. only with a numbered address, as in 1500 Conley Ave. Spell out when part of a formal street name without a number: Conley Avenue. Lowercase and spell out when used alone or with more than one street: Conley and University avenues.
- Spell out similar words — alley, drive, road, terrace, place. Capitalize them when part of a formal name without a number; lowercase when used alone or with two or more names: Providence and Stewart roads.
- Use figures for address numbers: 9 Morningside Circle.
- Spell out and capitalize First through Ninth when used as street names; use figures for 10th and above.
- Abbreviate compass points used to indicate directional ends of a street or quadrants of a city in a numbered address: 222 E. 42nd St., 562 W. 43rd St., 6700 K St. N.W. Do not abbreviate if number is omitted: East 42nd Street, West 43rd Street, K Street Northwest. Note: In Columbia, Mo., the West in West Boulevard is never abbreviated because it is the street name, not a geographical designation: 990 West Blvd. S. or West Boulevard South.
- See state names.
- See URL for information about Web addresses.