Capitalize all names of MU’s colleges, schools, departments, divisions and centers when using the full, proper name: Department of History, Sinclair School of Nursing, Center for Distance and Independent Study, Career Center, School of Journalism. Lowercase when using informal names: history department, the department, nursing school, the center.
- After the full, formal name of your school, college, office or department appears in a first reference, do not overuse formal name throughout run of copy. Use such second references as school, college, office, department.
- Avoid overusing Mizzou and MU throughout text and especially in such sentences as: Students at MU spend six hours daily in MU’s Memorial Union on the MU campus.
- Here are the proper names of the
university’s 19 schools and colleges:
- School of Accountancy
- College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources
- College of Arts and Science
- Trulaske College of Business
- College of Education
- College of Engineering
- Graduate School
- Harry S Truman School of Public Affairs
- School of Health Professions
- College of Human Environmental Sciences
- School of Information Science and Learning Technologies
- School of Journalism
- School of Law
- School of Medicine
- School of Music
- School of Natural Resources
- Sinclair School of Nursing (see Nursing, School of)
- School of Social Work
- College of Veterinary Medicine