10 Steps for Promoting a Mizzou Event
1. Determine goals.
- purpose of event
- desired number of attendees
- target audience(s)
- (Don’t forget audiences related to funding sources.)
Establishing desired outcomes early in your planning will save time and make your promotions more effective.
Accessibility: Be sure to budget for Americans with Disabilities Act accommodations. In your event promotions, include a contact for accessibility requests. Get help planning inclusive events.
2. Contact your unit’s communications team.
Reach Mizzou audiences and the public with help from communications experts employed at MU
- colleges and schools
- major departments
- administrative units
- student affairs
Reach out to MU publications and news sites, or call MU Marketing & Communications at 573-882-4523 for contact information.
3. Add your event to the Mizzou Events Calendar.
The Mizzou Events Calendar serves as a central repository for all University of Missouri happenings that are open to the public.
- Anyone with a campus-issued Username can add an MU event to the calendar.
- Go to calendar.missouri.edu and click “login” at the top of the page next to the search box. It will direct you to a page that asks for your User ID and password.
- You will be sent back to the calendar’s main page after logging in.
- Add your event by clicking “submit an event” in the blue bar on the right side of the screen. A form will appear for you to fill out.
- When you are finished, click “add event,” at the bottom of the page.
- Marketing & Communications staff review all submissions before they appear on the calendar.
Adding the event to the calendar creates a Web page with event information, which can be used for other digital communications.
4. Contact editors in MU Marketing & Communications.
Email email@example.com for help with large-audience event promotion, when appropriate, on central MU websites, in locations such as
Events and platforms are chosen based on the breadth of audience appeal, diversity of featured topics/event and current university priorities.
5. Contact central social media managers.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for help and guidance in promoting events through
- the central Mizzou Facebook page
- the central Mizzou Twitter account
- the central Mizzou Instagram account
- theMizzouTube on YouTube
- the Mizzou Social Media site
- targeted Mizzou social media accounts, found at socialmedia.missouri.edu/directory
MU Marketing & Communications uses central social media channels to promote campus events in advance, to cover them as they’re happening and/or to share photos or videos afterward.
6. Post flyers on campus.
Many campus buildings have display areas for announcements and flyers.
- The Department of Residential Life can hang one flyer at each information board in the residence halls. The Residential Academic Programs Office, C122 Pershing Commons, must approve the content. Contact information for the sponsoring organization or department must be included.
- Use Marketing & Communication event flyer templates.
7. Connect with the MU News Bureau to reach news media.
To reach newspapers, radio stations, TV stations and other media outlets, the MU News Bureau can help with
- press releases
- writing and/or disseminating information for reporters
- inclusion in media calendars
- encouraging event coverage
Contact email@example.com or 573-882-6211.
8. Advertise in student unions.
University departments may advertise within Memorial Union and the MU Student Center on
- table tents
- bulletin boards
- television plasma screens
9. Advertise in MU Info.
MU Info is a list of announcements emailed each Wednesday to students, faculty and staff, including MU Health Care and UM System employees.
- Submissions to MU Info cost $50 each.
- Fill out an online form with the Division of IT to get started.
10. Use university multimedia, publications and product resources.
- The Marketing & Communications division provides editorial, photography, design, Web and video services at no charge for projects that fall within the following priorities: student recruitment, alumni communication, fundraising, campuswide special events and internal communication. Services are provided on a time-available basis. Contact Marketing & Communications.
- When ordering promotional items for an event, departments are required to use approved vendors and/or screen printers that are under contract with the MU Licensing office. Contact MU Licensing at firstname.lastname@example.org or 573-882-7256.
- MU’s Academic Support Center provides low-cost multimedia services, including video, photography, design and audio. Contact ASC at email@example.com or 573-882-3608.
- MU Printing Services offers design services for printed pieces and assistance with promotional-item orders. Call 573-882-7801.
All official University of Missouri communications (including flyers, brochures and websites) must follow Mizzou guidelines for